Monday, October 13, 2014

Vitamin B12 for Energy?

George wrote to ask "...my energy levels have been down so after much researching on the internet I saw dozens of articles about how Vitamin B12 helps restore energy levels. Do you think this is true? Would Vitamin B12 help with my knee pain? How much Vitamin B12 should I take a day?"

Good question George.  I have also read many articles on B12 from the internet, ranging from implied claims that B12 helps regain memory loss; helps energy levels especially in older people; enhances immune systems; and even helping with mood swings. Of course claims that supplements help or fix diseases are verboten by the FDA.   

Many sources to include the American Journal for Clinical Nutrition believe that many Americans, possibly over half, are chronically deficient in Vitamin B12. It is my belief that most Americans are deficient in most, it not all, nutrients as the quality of the food supply is much less than it has been and we Americans are eating much more processed foods.

It is also my belief that no single Vitamin is the miracle nutrient. I have warned people for years not to read and believe stories that this Vitamin or that Vitamin treats a certain condition then rush off to buy a bottle of that miracle Vitamin at the local drug store. There are two things wrong with this: 1 - A person needs to receive all nutrients so they can work together synergistically for optimal health, in doses that will do them good, and 2 - Most sources of supplements are from food grade manufacture so the consumer never knows what they are actually getting and if they are also consuming toxins with those supplements.

So to answer your question George: Vitamin B12 is an important nutrient as are all the Vitamins and Minerals; Vitamin B12 in and of itself does not restore memory loss, etc., but works with other Vitamins and Minerals to provide the required nutrients so the body's immune system can function as optimally as it can.

I do not take Vitamin B12 by itself. It is part of the daily supplements I consume. I am getting 200 micro`grams of Vitamin B12 each day which is 3,340% of the FDA's Required Daily Allowance (RDA). These days, only cavemen believe that the RDA is sufficient for optimum health. I believe, as do thousands of people much smarter than me, including biologistsa, scientists, physicians, etc that for optimal health a person must consume much higher doses the Vitamins and Minerals.

As far as Vitamin B12 helping with knee pain,......vitamin B12 is one of many nutrients you must have for the body's immune system to work as efficient as it can and if working properly can minimze oxidative stress and free radical damage which may contribute to joint pain.



For Information on the Products I recommend, click here, to contact me.


No comments:

Post a Comment