Thursday, October 11, 2012

Derick's Question on PSA Levels

I received this from Derick:  "Dear MyAchingKnees, thanks for all the information on joints and supplements. I think I found you searching for 'degenerative diseases'. I may have used PSA since I was looking for articles on high PSA level and what people have been eating or taking for this. Derick".

Derrick, this what one of the on-line medical journals say about Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA).  PSA  is present in small quantities in the serum of men with healthy prostates, but is often elevated in the presence of prostate cancer or other prostate disorders.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the PSA test for annual screening of prostate cancer in men of age 50 and older. PSA levels between 4 and 10 ng/mL (nanograms per milliliter) are a warning sign and further testing is advised .

In 1983 I was involved in a car crash resulting in, among other things, a back injury. Since that day I had urinary tract symptoms replicating a much older man with prostate issues....frequent urge to urinate, getting up in the middle of the night to urinate, and a weak stream of urine, etc.

In 2002 I took a medical exam for an insurance policy. Blood work showed that my PSA level was 3.5 In the next couple years I again had blood work done and on subsequent lab reports my PSA levels were 3.8 and 3.9 respectively.

In 2005 I started taking a pharmaceutical grade multi-mineral and anti-oxidant supplements. In 2006 and 2010 my blood work showed my PSA level at 0.7 and 0.6 respectively. What I believe made the difference in the lowering of my PSA, is that the optimum level of quality nutrients I was providing my body. I took no other supplement but a high quality Glucosamine and a Omega 3 Fatty Acid supplement as well mainly for my knee pain.

It was not until just two years ago that I also started taking a prosate specific product. This product contains ingredients that most prostate supplements have,.... Saw Palmetto Extract - 320 mg; Lycopene - 5 mg: Soy Isolflavones - 25 mg, but is produced in a FDA certified lab with USP specifications for potency, uniformity, and disintegration. Since I started taking this prostate product my symptoms, maily having to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, have gone away. I have no choice to believe it was this product that helped that however the blood work with the reduced PSA levels was accomplished without the prostate supplement.

Derick,..don't know what info you are looking for, but surely if you have a high PSA level, please go back to the doctor and get a more fuller exam.

For Information on the Products I recommend, click here, to contact me.


No comments:

Post a Comment