Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Reader Question on Omega 3 Fatty Acids

MyAchingKnees.com received a reader contact from Shirley in North Carolina.

"I take Fish Oil gel tablets for three months now, and have not yet received any reduction in my knee pain."

Well, Shirley although Fish Oil has high levels of Omega 3 Fatty Acids there is no way of telling how much and what quantity you are taking with off the shelf, food grade products. Additionally, without the guaranteed quality, free of toxins that you would get from a pharmaceutical grade product, you risk mercury and other toxins with food grade Fish Oil products.

From EnvironmentalChemistry.com: "In spite of the health benefits provided by omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oils, people are decreasing fish in their diets due to high levels of mercury found in some fish. Elevated levels of Mercury, a toxin affecting cognitive development in unborn children, is being found in many species of fish raising health concerns from eating mercury laden fish."

Keep in mind that Omega 3 Fatty Acids aren't necessarily a targeted product for your joint pain. Omega 3's work by balancing out the Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratios therefore thought to keep inflammation reduced which can affect your knees.

I take a pharmaceutical grade Glucosamine product called Procosa II, which is listed on page 3476 of the Physicians Desk Reference 2010 edition. I also take a pharmaceutical grade Omega 3 product, called Bi-Omega, to enhance what the Procosa II does for me, by helping to reduce inflammation. I have no other reason to explain the great reduction in my knee pain. Although I have your e-mail, I will not send anything unsolicited nor give your address to anyone. If you want more information on the products I take, then please fill out the form to the right.

Good luck and be careful on the off the shelf fish oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment